ABOUT THE MILLENNIUM FELLOWSHIP - CLASS OF 2020
United Nations Academic Impact and MCN are proud to partner on the Millennium Fellowship. In the three months the application was open in 2020, 15,159 young leaders applied to join the Class of 2020 on 1,458 campuses across 135 nations. 80 campuses worldwide (just 6%) were selected to host the 1,000+ Millennium Fellows. The Class of 2020 is bold, innovative, and inclusive.
UNITED NATIONS ACADEMIC IMPACT AND MCN PROUDLY PRESENT YOUNES DJEMMAL, A MILLENNIUM FELLOW FOR THE CLASS OF 2020.
Lebanese American University | Beirut, Lebanon | Advancing SDG 6 & UNAI 9
" Today, governments around the world care less and less about the state of our seas and oceans, especially in the Arab world. I believe that change should come from us, the people. And this is why I am joining the Millennium Fellowship, a program I am sure will help me realize my goal, by working with diverse and talented individuals from around the world. I am starting a journey that will, eventually, with hard work and persistence, be successful. "
Millennium Fellowship Project: 4 Our Seas
4 Our Seas is a youth initiative that aims to protect the Seas and life below water around the Arab world.
Within August-December 2020, they will focus their work in Algeria considering the high level of water pollution there.
They hope to:
- Organize 10 workshops about the importance of the Sea and the dangers of pollution.
- Organize two awareness campaigns.
- Organize a trash-tags and ploggings around Lebanese beaches.
- Put pressure on the Lebanese government in order to set strict laws and punishments against companies that do not respect the sea.
- Organize a fund-raising ceremony in December and use those funds to support local startups with a sea-friendly vision.
- Work with local NGOs to have a greater impact.
About the Millennium Fellow
Younes Djemmal is an Algerian 20 yo MEPI tomorrow's leader scholar at LAU majoring in computer science. He participated in and lead many youth initiatives in both Algeria and Lebanon and today, he aims to make a greater impact that will touch all the Arab world with the Millennium Fellowship.