ABOUT THE MILLENNIUM FELLOWSHIP - CLASS OF 2020
United Nations Academic Impact and MCN are proud to partner on the Millennium Fellowship. In the three months the application was open in 2020, 15,159 young leaders applied to join the Class of 2020 on 1,458 campuses across 135 nations. 80 campuses worldwide (just 6%) were selected to host the 1,000+ Millennium Fellows. The Class of 2020 is bold, innovative, and inclusive.
UNITED NATIONS ACADEMIC IMPACT AND MCN PROUDLY PRESENT DOMENICA DENISSE HERNANDEZ, A MILLENNIUM FELLOW FOR THE CLASS OF 2020.
Universidad de Las Américas | Quito, Ecuador | Advancing SDG 6 & UNAI 9
" I am really excited to be a Millennium Fellows because it is an amazing opportunity to work with people from all over the world to share experiences and knowledge. I am convinced that with everything you teach us we can help to make a positive change in many communities in our country, which is Ecuador and perhaps around the world. "
Millennium Fellowship Project: Canchimalero, a footprint of hope.
Canchimalero, a footprint of hope is a community development project that is carried out between UDLA students and the Canchimalero community. The main objectives of this initative are i) to optimize the disinfection processes of drinking water, ii) the treatment of excreta, and iii) the management of solid wastes in Canchimalero.
All phases of the project will be carried out by students - putting into practice what has been learned in classrooms - with the contribution of teachers. Field activities are carried out with the support of community members, to achieve empowerment and guarantee the success of the project over time.
Canchimalero is a population in the northern coastal zone of Ecuador, where 51 Afro-Ecuadorian families dedicated to artisanal fishing and coconut farming live. Family groups are made up of between five and six members. The project is developed based on the needs raised by the community during a participatory workshop, in which the lack of basic services was demonstrated: drinking water, sewerage and solid waste management.
1) 10 dry latrines will be built / people use latrines.
2) The stabilizer (decomposition of feces) will be operated / biological process of organic decomposition is in operation.
3) A compost bin will be built for the management of organic waste /decomposition process in operation, earthworms adapted.
3) Two participatory workshops will be held / 70 members of the community participate actively.
4) A technical talk will be given in the municipality of Valdez about the proper management of the canton water potabilization plant.
5) A filter will be designed and tested to improve the quality of the consumption water/ filter installed and in operation in the community school.
About the Millennium Fellow
Domenica is from Quito, Ecuador raised in emeralds. She likes to spend pleasant time with her family, go out to explore the country and know what are the wonderful things that surrounds her. She is currently studying environmental engineering at the University of the Americas and has two semesters to go, because of having studied this degree she is passionate about biota, animals and people. What she wants is to help the environment so that Do not continue to be contaminated by people who are unaware of the damage it is causing to the environment.