ABOUT THE MILLENNIUM FELLOWSHIP - CLASS OF 2020
United Nations Academic Impact and MCN are proud to partner on the Millennium Fellowship. In the three months the application was open in 2020, 15,159 young leaders applied to join the Class of 2020 on 1,458 campuses across 135 nations. 80 campuses worldwide (just 6%) were selected to host the 1,000+ Millennium Fellows. The Class of 2020 is bold, innovative, and inclusive.
UNITED NATIONS ACADEMIC IMPACT AND MCN PROUDLY PRESENT PABLO ESTEBAN OVIEDO, A MILLENNIUM FELLOW FOR THE CLASS OF 2020.
Universidad de Las Américas | Quito, Ecuador | Advancing SDG 6 & UNAI 9
" I am very excited to be a Millennium Fellow because it is a great step to continue helping Canchimalero and accomplish all the goals we set for ourselves, this will also allow us to think ahead and continue our work in other communities that need help. Being a Millennium Fellow will help us to encourage people to think of others and how important solidarity is. "
Millennium Fellowship Project: Canchimalero, a footprint of hope.
Canchimalero, a footprint of hope is a community development project that is carried out between UDLA students and the Canchimalero community. The main objectives of this initative are i) to optimize the disinfection processes of drinking water, ii) the treatment of excreta, and iii) the management of solid wastes in Canchimalero.
All phases of the project will be carried out by students - putting into practice what has been learned in classrooms - with the contribution of teachers. Field activities are carried out with the support of community members, to achieve empowerment and guarantee the success of the project over time.
Canchimalero is a population in the northern coastal zone of Ecuador, where 51 Afro-Ecuadorian families dedicated to artisanal fishing and coconut farming live. Family groups are made up of between five and six members. The project is developed based on the needs raised by the community during a participatory workshop, in which the lack of basic services was demonstrated: drinking water, sewerage and solid waste management.
1) 10 dry latrines will be built / people use latrines.
2) The stabilizer (decomposition of feces) will be operated / biological process of organic decomposition is in operation.
3) A compost bin will be built for the management of organic waste /decomposition process in operation, earthworms adapted.
3) Two participatory workshops will be held / 70 members of the community participate actively.
4) A technical talk will be given in the municipality of Valdez about the proper management of the canton water potabilization plant.
5) A filter will be designed and tested to improve the quality of the consumption water/ filter installed and in operation in the community school.
About the Millennium Fellow
Pablo Oviedo is 23 years old and it from Quito- currely living in Valle de los Chillos. He is currently studying Environmental Engineering . He loves his family very much, he cares about them very much. He also takes care of his dog Matias and his cat Romina, he likes a lot the gardening and takes care of his plants. He likes to travel all over Ecuador, the most beautiful place he has traveled to has been Cuenca. He hopes to graduate soon so he can start saving money to travel around Ecuador and the world.